EU nationals
Students from all Member States of the European Union (EU) must have a valid ID card. European Union citizens staying in Portugal for longer than 90 days, within 3 months after their arrival, should request a residence card from the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF, at the address quoted below). All EU citizens are entitled to this card, which is valid for one year and can be extended annually.

Non-EU nationals
All students that are non-European Union nationals must obtain a study visa from the Portuguese Consulate located in their home country, prior to their arrival.

The issuing of the study visa is dependent on the letter sent by the School of Ulisboa accepting the student. The study visa is only valid for the expected duration of the period of studies, and up to one year.

It is recommended that the request for the study visa at the Portuguese Consulate is made at least two months in advance, before the date of arrival in Lisbon.

It is suggested that students may be accompanied by an entry record (Entry Declaration), until three days after their arrival in Portugal.

It is recommended that all exchange students both European and non-European nationals are always in possession of their identification documents.

Under the terms of the Schengen Agreement for free movement of persons occurring  within the Schengen area, students in possession of a visa from one Schengen State do not need to obtain  another visa.

Immigration and Borders Service

Regional Directorate for Lisboa, Vale do Tejo e Alentejo
Av. António Augusto de Aguiar, 20
1069-119 LISBOA
Phone: +351 213 585 500
Fax: +351 213 144 053
E-mail: dir.lisboa@sef.pt
Website: www.sef.pt
Opening: Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 4.30 PM

Useful Contacts
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Contacts for Embassies in Portugal
Consulates of Portugal in the world