ULisses fosters active and effective learning through a problem-based learning course.
Main objectives for students:
- to take part in an interdisciplinary real-life research project;
- to experience the academic and social diversity of an international research community;
- to work with colleagues from other schools and with different scientific backgrounds;
- to be acquainted with the importance of the oceans in pursuing the sustainability of our planet;
- to recognize the ocean as an important source of resources and wealth;
- to identify the sources of ocean pollution (especially plastic pollution), their impact and the main techniques used to mitigate them;
- to explore future education and career perspectives.
At the end of the project, students will be familiar with:
- the fundamentals of different disciplines related to ocean science;
- the central principles of material science related to polymers;
- the impact of plastic pollution on the metabolism of biological systems;
- the basic principles of robotics and the design of autonomous vehicles for sea exploration;
- the basic techniques to recycle materials and the principles of circular economy;
- project management methods.
The students will also be able to:
- develop a goal-oriented solution to a complex problem through interdisciplinary collaborative research work;
- discuss possible solutions and take informed decisions based on relevant criteria;
- connect with their peers in an international and interdisciplinary environment and appreciate the corresponding academic and social diversity;
- plan, organize, and carry out tasks independently;
- plan and manage their online study process independently and use the functions of a digital learning environment for their learning process;
- facilitate effective virtual collaboration in scattered and remote teams;
- learn and use the functions of collaborative online tools, e.g., video conferencing tools, collaborative whiteboards, collaborative writing and presentation tools;
- improve their English language skills.