FCT-PRISC-UFRJ PhD Fellowships
FCT-PRISC-UFRJ PhD Fellowships
Through an agreement between PRISC - Portuguese Research Infrastructure of Scientific Collections and FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, Portugal is backing the rebuilding of the Museu Nacional of the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro in an unrivalled academic partnership by awarding 50 doctoral fellowships between 2023 and 2027.
Besides boosting academic ties between the two countries, the students will profit from the experience of the partnership in studies between major museums. Over the five years, grants will be awarded in the fields of Bio-, Palaeo- and Geodiversity, Studies of Scientific Collections, Anthropology, Conservation and Restoration, History of Science, Museology and Science Communication.
The research activities will be undertaken at a PRISC infrastructure university - University of Lisbon (ULISBOA), Universidade do Porto (U.PORTO) and Universidade de Coimbra (U.COIMBRA) - and, necessarily, at the Museu Nacional of the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (MN/UFRJ).
When submitting the application, it is required to present a PRISC University supervisor and a UFRJ supervisor.
Calls for applications for 2024:
Call for applications scheduled for February and September 2024 on dates to be duly announced.
10 grants in the following areas:
- Museology, particularly in the areas of the intersection of art and science, specifically the development of innovative forms of science exhibition, education and communication.
- Conservation and Restoration, notably the development of innovative protocols, methodologies and case studies in the area of conservation and restoration applied to scientific collections, which includes taxidermy and ethical issues.
- Studies of Scientific Collections from multiple perspectives (historical, taxonomic, anthropological, archaeological, sociological, dissemination, etc.).
- Geodiversity, Palaeodiversity and Biodiversity, namely with regard to the history of the Earth and its past and present biodiversity, with a keen focus on the valorisation of collections and associated scientific data.
- History of Science, namely the contribution of museums, collections and artefacts to the development of natural history and science, with a strong (but not exclusive) focus on Central and South America.
PRISC is the Portuguese infrastructure for scientific collections. It gathers together the main scientific collections of the universities of Lisbon, Porto and Coimbra, via the Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência of the Universidade de Lisboa (MUHNAC-ULISBOA), the Museu de História Natural e da Ciência of the Universidade do Porto (MHNC-UP), the Museu da Ciência of the Universidade de Coimbra (MCUC), as well as the Jardim Botânico of the Universidade de Coimbra (JBUC). Its mission is to preserve and enhance all Portuguese scientific collections as a key asset for research, education and culture.
Museu Nacional (MN), Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Andrea Costa - email@example.com
Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência (MUHNAC), Universidade de Lisboa
Judite Alves - firstname.lastname@example.org